Black TieSynonymous with Formal Dress
- What to Wear for Her: Smart cocktail dresses, long dresses or dressy evening separates
- What to Wear for Him: Classic tuxedo with black bow tie.
FormalSynonymous with Black Tie, but can allow more flexibility.
- What to Wear for Her: Smart cocktail dresses, long dresses, dressy evening separates or dressy pant suits
- What to Wear for Him: Tuxedos or smart suits
White TieSynonymous with Full Dress or ultra-formal, usually reserved for official or government occasions.
- What to Wear for Her: Very formal, long gowns or floor-length ball gowns, complete with fine accessories and jewellery. Gloves are optional.
- What to Wear for Him: Full dress, with black evening tailcoat, white bow tie, white low-cut waistcoat, white dress shirt, black trousers.
Related read: Evening gowns & cocktail dresses: dressing up for parties and occasions.