Whether it's a short retreat or an exotic location on the other side of the world, couple getaways are more about the romance than the cash. Here's how you can plan the most romantic getaway, no matter how big or modest your budget is:
Choosing your ideal getawayWhen planning your romantic escape, it's not so much about your budget as it is about your common interests. Ideally you should choose something both of you enjoy. If a spa resort is your cup of tea but it bores him to tears, it's not going to be particularly romantic. Ditto if your guy wants a skiing trip but it's something you really hate. "Some compromises are okay, but if this is supposed to be a romantic vacation, you both have to buy into the heart of the trip or the romantic quotient is going to be very, very low," says Dr. Ruth Westheimer, sex therapist and author of Rekindling Romance For Dummies. So speak up about your likes and dislikes during this planning stage; you'll be able to work out the ideal vacation you both love.
Planning is half the fun!A Dutch survey of 1530 adults found that just planning a vacation ups happiness levels, possibly because you're anticipating all the fun you'll have. "Anticipation is a great turn on," agrees Westheimer. "To get the most out of any vacation, you have to include the time you spend planning your vacation in the equation." To get yourself in the vacay mood, do these together before the trip:
- Go online and begin exploring any recommended must-sees and must-dos in your destination city. Draw out your itinerary together.
- Research the country's cuisine online and find restaurants you'll want to try when you get there.
- "If you're going to a country where the population speaks another language, get books or tapes so you can pick up some important vocabulary words and practice pronouncing them," suggests Westheimer.
- Go shopping for clothing for the trip together -- maybe add some sexy lingerie to your shopping list!
- Buy a map and plan out your route.
- If you need to rent a car, do research together into what model you want to get.