Red Lentil Soup
Category: Soups & Stews
Prep + Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- ground black pepper
- In a medium soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery, and saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, tomato paste, and broth. Increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft and soup is thick, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 1 cup of soup in food processor, puree until smooth, and return to soup pot. Stir, heat through, and serve.
183 calories (13g protein, 26g carbohydrate, 3g fat, 140mg sodium) per serving