Potato Leek Soup
Category: Soups & Stews
Prep + Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 3 large leeks, roots and green tops trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut leeks lengthwise in half, then crosswise into ¼-inch-wide slices. Rinse leeks thoroughly in a large bowl of water to remove sand. Transfer leeks to colander and drain.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat until butter melts. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, dill, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Ladle mixture into blender in batches, and blend until pureed. Return all puree to saucepan, stir in milk and heat through. Stir in lemon juice.
- Divide soup among 6 bowls and top with cilantro.
150 calories (4g protein, 20g carbohydrate, 6g fat, 513mg sodium) per serving