Category: Soups & Stews
Prep + Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ pound fresh green beans, stemmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 can kidney beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and chopped
- 1 cup raw, small, shell pasta
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth and herbs, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Add green and kidney beans and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini and pasta and simmer for 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup in bowls with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
198 calories (10g protein, 27g carbohydrate, 6g fat, 183mg sodium) per serving