Classic Fried Chicken
Category: Poultry & Eggs
Prep + Cooking Time: 1 Hr 50 Minutes
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon papriki
- 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- In large self-sealing plastic bag, combine buttermilk, hot pepper sauce and 1 teaspoon salt. Add chicken pieces, turning to coat. Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Place bag in bowl, refrigerate chicken 2 to 24 hours to marinate, turning bag over once.
- In bowl, stir flour, baking powder, pepper, paprika and remaining 2 teaspoons salt and mix well.
- Remove chicken, a few pieces at a time, from buttermilk mixture, shaking off excess. Add chicken to flour mixture, turning to coat well. Place chicken on wire rack, set over waxed paper. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces. Let stand 15 minutes to set coating.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 250°F. Line two 15½" X 10½" jelly-roll pans or large cookie sheets with paper towels. Divide oil between two 12-inch skillets and heat over medium heat.
- To each skillet, add 4 pieces chicken, cover skillets and cook until chicken is golden brown on bottoms, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn pieces over and cook, covered, 10-12 minutes longer, turning pieces every 4 or 5 minutes or until well browned. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Transfer chicken to lined jelly-roll pans to drain. Keep warm in oven.
545 calories (35g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 31g fat, 845mg sodium)