Pan-Roasted Chicken with Garlic Cloves
Category: Poultry & Eggs
Prep + Cooking Time: 2 Hrs 10 Minutes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 pounds chicken
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 28 garlic cloves, skins intact
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- Preheat oven at 395°F.
- For marinade, mix together olive oil, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir to blend well.
- Rub marinade all over chicken. Stuff whole lemon into chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, in a heat-proof casserole. Add garlic, chicken broth and white wine.
- Bring casserole to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, cover with lid and roast in oven for 1 to 1¼ hours. Check for doneness; juices should run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Remove lid, baste chicken with pan juices and continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes to brown the skin.
- Remove chicken and garlic cloves from casserole and place on a serving dish. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spoon away excess oil from juices in casserole. Adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
- Carve chicken and serve with garlic cloves and pan juices.