Grilled Eggplant Tomato Sandwiches
- 1 medium italian eggplant cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, finely minced
- 8 ½-inch slices, crusty bread
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove ends of eggplant and cut into ½-inch slices. Sprinkle both sides with salt and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Thoroughly rinse slices to remove all salt and drain on absorbent paper.
- Combine olive oil and garlic and lightly brush each slice. Grill over medium-high heat on gas grill or broil under broiler. When soft, remove immediately and sprinkle with basil.
- Meanwhile, slice tomatoes into ½-inch slices and season with black pepper. Arrange tomatoes and eggplant on 4 slices of bread. Season with pepper. Top with second slice of bread and serve.
272 calories (8g protein, 44g carbohydrate, 8g fat, 361mg sodium) per serving